XFS filesystem size much less than partition size

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Jun 9 14:32:33 UTC 2004

John Daz wrote:

>Hello Friends,
>After installing Fedora core 2 with XFS filesystem, I
>observed that the filesystem size was always 12M
>regardless of the partition size.

12M or 12G?

> Even after running
>xfs_grow on the partition, the filesystem size is
>never more than 90% of the partition size. Does anyone
>know of a way that I can make the filesystem cover the
>entire partition space?
>John

When you created the partition, the default is to use an internal log on
the same partition, which will explain why you don't have the whole
partition size available. If you really want to reclaim that little bit
of space, you need to remake the filesys on that partition, and in the
mkfs.xfs command, use the option 'logdev=/dev/hdXY' (replacing the X and
Y for a valid block device). You will gain the space back from the
partition with the filesys, but will lose it from another partition.