Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Mike McMullen wrote:

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:02:13 -0700
From: Mike McMullen <mlm loanprocessing net>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy

I'm coming in on the middle of this but having said that...

You can use tar to go to multiple floppies. I have done it
several times but not within the last 3 years. I don't have
any floppies or I'd test it right now.

Perhaps I'm also coming in halfway here..

Yes.. you _can_, but the more floppies you use, the greater chance of failure... And I'm not convinced that it's a strongly used feature in any case.

My gut feeling would be to avoid multi volume tar archives.. too prone to failure later.

Cheers,

Al