[FC2] ISA cards not detected....

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Tue Jun 15 11:47:16 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote/ha scritto, On/il 15/06/2004 13:10:

>On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 06:35, antonio montagnani wrote:
>

>>Bob Chiodini wrote/ha scritto, On/il 15/06/2004 12:23:

>>>Antonio,
>>>
>>>What is the problem?  What happens when you run
>>>/usr/bin/system-config-soundcard?
>>>
>>>It might be that all of your mixers are muted.  Try alsamixer and unmute
>>>the individual controls.
>>>
>>>Bob...
>>>

>>Here is the output.....
>>
>>/usr/bin/system-config-soundcard
>>
>>(system-config-soundcard.py:2558): Gtk-WARNING **:
>>/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libredmond95.so: undefined symbol:
>>gtk_widget_get_direction
>>

>I don't know what this is.  I do not think it is fatal.
>

>>and I get a warnin that no soundcard is detected (also in Hardware
>>browser I do not see any card...): shall I go and buy a PCI souncard???  ;-)
>>

>That's what I would do.  But first, try playing with the PNP settings in
>the BIOS.  Also make sure you have an interrupt and DMA available for
>the sound card.  That, too, is somewhere in the BIOS, possibly.  Last,
>try /sbin/modprobe snd-sbawe and look at /var/log/messages.  There maybe
>a clue as to what is happening.
>
>The sound system software changed in FC2 from OSS to ALSA
>(http://alsa-project.org/).  I would check there for supported cards
>before buying a new one.

I didn't play with any PNP settings but I went straight to
/sbin/modprobe snd-sbawe and after alsamixer setting all options, and
now great music is playing on my PC!!!
I hope that same procedure will work on myhome PC, a different card but
also from Creative (Vibra 16)..
But the changes of modprobe are permanent??? I do not see any changes in
modprobe.conf....

>>Of course everything is fine after replacing the ISA network adapter
>>with a PCI network
>>

>I am glad to hear the network now works.  What brand of cards did you
>buy?  In case I need some new ones.

Actually I didn't buy a new card, I opened the PC of my friend while he
was on holyday and I got a spare network adapter (Realtek 8139): I
suppose that he will never miss the card

Your support is great!!!! Tnx a lot

--
 Antonio
 Working with Mozilla 1.6 on Linux Fedora Core 2