Disk 1 install setup screen freezes

I've got an HP760n. Can not boot from CD. Copied vmlinuz and initrd.img from isolinux into /boot and modified grub.conf.

Recognizes mouse, card and display correctly.

The mouse/keyboard/window freezes within the first couple of
install setup screens. The furthest I got was entering in
my ip address. The earliest freeze occurred when the mouse
(as a pointer, after its an 'X') first appears.

Any hints as to whats up?

Thanks.

Richard