modem installation

anyone please help me to install the Robotics Sporters Fax/Modem w/ X2 56K on FC2. The robotics website just have the installation guild on windows. I connected that external modem to serial port ssty0, and try to configure that using add new hardware at system-config-network but after I added the modem, it said inactive. I also tried to reboot the system after connected the modem, but it didn't find the new hardware at boot time.

Nina