Fwd: Re: Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)

brions at poetryproject.net brions at poetryproject.net
Tue May 4 18:43:02 UTC 2004

Are you suggesting that I should be able to simply enable raw queuing with the
Canon drivers for my printer?  As far as I could tell, I have a choice - raw or
Canon.  With raw, localhost won't print (logs don't reveal a problem either),
but with the Canon driver, I can print locally but not from Windows (logs
complain that an octet stream arrived and it didn't know how to handle it).

When I went into the mime.types and mime.convs manually and uncommented the
octet-stream line with the Canon drivers, then I could print both from
localhost and from networked printers.  But that, I've been told, is not really
how I should be doing it -- aside from the fact if I change anything using the
redhat-config-printer tool it'll re-create my mime.* files and comment the
octet-stream line out again.

Thanks,
Brion