[FC2] Really slow after installing lots of new fonts.

dsyates dsyates at mindspring.com
Mon May 31 14:47:36 UTC 2004

  > Le dim, 30/05/2004 à 17:43 +0200, Coume - Lubox.com a écrit :
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>My friend gave me a cd of freeware fonts and I installed all of them
>>around 22,000 fonts... It sounds to me great as now, I would be able to
>>have lots of font for designing logo, etc...
>>
>>But since I done that, there is a major problem! FC2 is very very slow!
>>In fact, everything is longer to load up and OpenOffice won't load
>>anymore, it always crash.
>>
>>Is there a way to speed up things again?
>>and perhaps something to cache only the most common fonts, but keeping
>>all the others there to use them when I will need them :/
>

> Well, remove some fonts:)
> Really all the systems I know behave the same - with the prohibitive
> prices foundries charge for well-designed fonts (as opposed to the free
> ones that are mostly logo/title junk) the population that needs to work
> with thousands of fonts simultaneously must be really tiny.
>
> I'm not saying that's good, just that "the user will have a small number
> of fonts" is a common enough software assumption.

I too have had this problem with FC2. I had some 6000 or so fonts
installed. OOo would not start at all. I removed the fonts; and all is
well now.
I had the same 6000 plus fonts in FC1 too. I expereienced NO such
problems with FC1. OOo couldn't see the fonts in ~/.fonts in FC1; I
wonder if this is an OOo problem?

--
David S. Yates
LPIC-1 Linux Certified