follow up: pp scanner

When I follow the instructions on installing plustek pp scanners on www.gjaeger.de,
everything is fine until I try to load the driver. Everythin compiled just fine but when I try to load the moduel either using modprobe or make load, I get this:

[root incarnationofdeath plustek_driver]# make load
/sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
sh: line 1: modprobe: command not found
modprobe: pre-install pt_drv failed
modprobe: insmod pt_drv failed
make: *** [load] Fehler 1
[root incarnationofdeath plustek_driver]#

Why is that? Because the error message isn't very specific, are there any chances to know what exactly went wrong?
I appreciate your help,
florian