DEC Ethernet card not working

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 14 19:31:23 UTC 2004

Richard McGrath wrote:
> When I try to run the command 'ifup eth0', I get:
>
> Tulip device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
>
> On the GUI network config tool, on the hardware tab, I can see the
> adapter.  I double click on this and get a dialog box that has, in the
> Adapter drop down box (which is disabled):
> DECchip 21041 [Tulip pass 3]
>
> The rest of the values on this are blank - is this the problem?
>
> When I do lspci, I can see the adapter and it seems to have IRQ's and
> the like.

Here's some things to check:

1. See if "lsmod" shows the tulip driver as loaded.
2. If it's not loaded, try "modprobe tulip" and see if it complains.
3. If it doesn't complain, see if it shows up in "lsmod" now.
4. If tulip now shows up, see if "ifconfig" lists eth0.
5. If eth0 shows up, make sure you have an "alias eth0 tulip" in your
    /etc/modules.conf file.
6. You should be able to config it now.
-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -