dhclient failure, IPv4 vs. IPv6, on FC2?

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Thu May 20 23:49:41 UTC 2004

   Vis-a-vis my note of 05/20/2004 04:10 PM:
> It appears that ifup-eth? is failing tryimg to retrieve its IP address
> from DHCP:
>
> dhclient: sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
>
> I see this with both the onboard intel pro100 (eth0) and my Lucent
> silver card (eth1).
> I ran ethereal on my dhcp server and it is getting the requests from the
> eth0 Mac address and replying. I don't see any requests from the eth1
> MAC address.
>
> When I do an ifconfig -a I see 4 interfaces up:
> eth0, eth1, lo, and sit0, which appears to be an IPv6=in-IPv4 tunnel.

	After my prior post, I poked around on my FreeBSD DHCP server and
discovered that it had "stf -- 6to4 tunnel interface" enabled. Disabling
that solved my problem.

> The only packets are passing across the loopback. The MAC addresses of
> eth0 and eth1 are correct, but neither has an IP address (consistent
> with the dhclient failure) though, curiously, both have IPv6 addresses.

	Now, even though I'm connected to my (IPv4) lan after a successful DHCP
conversation, eth0 has both a inet4 and inet6 address (the later same as
before). I still don't know where that is coming from as I totally
disabled IPv6 on the gateway. Could be my wife's OSX.3 Mac, I suppose,
doing some funky Mac zeroconfig network thing??

> My DHCP server is FreeBSD 4.9 running ISC-dhcpd-3.0.1.r12.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Or better yet, have a solution?

	I conjecture that FC2 somehow prefers IPv6 to IPV6-to-IPv4 tunnel to
IPv4. Can any one confirm this?

	Joe

--
---- Voice:831/423-7151 --- Mobile:650/483-9123 --- FAX:831/469-0804 ---