Fedora Core 2 Windows XP Partition Magic

I have a computer with an athlon xp 2400, gigabyte motherboard, and more importantly 2 western digital 80gb drives (ide). I had Windows XP on a fat32 partition on the first drive. I used partitionmagic to create the linux partitions the way i wanted them. When I installed Fedora Core 2 and used grub as the boot loader windows xp would no longer boot. After installing partition magic would not read the master boot record and i could only get to my data through a dos boot disk. Fedora would run fine. Why did Fedora destroy the windows xp boot loader (fedora core 1 would allow me to use grub to boot windows xp) and why wont partition magic read my partitions?

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

john Chapman