Problems Downloading into Browser, how login to FTP?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat May 22 10:57:03 UTC 2004

Al Franz wrote:
> Having problems downloading Fedora from the Redhat site or Mirror sites.
>
> My WinXP system with IE has always had problems with downloading large files
> in HTTP or FTP, believe it is a windows limitation.  So I tried to logon to
> an FTP site with an FTP program but none of the mirrors seem to work, I can
> not see a list of files in the FTP program.  What user name and password is
> required for these open sites? I tried "anonymous" but get the errors...
>
> "Address lookup of FTP SITE failed. It may be misspelled, or your computer
> may not be connected to the network or Internet. Also check that your DNS
> and local name servers are properly configured and responding."

This sounds thoroughly like a Windows-specific problem.

Are you on a corporate or institutional network? It sounds as though
you're using a web proxy for web access. That would be set up in IE
(Tools menu -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings
-> Proxy Server).

If that's the case, there's no reason why your computer should even know
about any DNS servers. As long as IE can get to the proxy, the proxy can
look up IP addresses. Worse still (from your point of view), a
responsible sysadmin will have firewalled off all direct access from
your machine to the Internet.

At this point, if you *are* on a corporate network, you should probably
reread any corporate Network Use Guidelines. Then you should either go
and talk to your sysadmin, or (if it's allowed) get an FTP client that
can work with HTTP proxies.

Or you could find yourself a friend with broadband and use their
connection.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "What kind of music do you get here, ma'am?"
westexe.demon.co.uk    | "Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and