Speaking of Fedora being behind....

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 02:35:26 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
>> How about OpenOffice.org?
>>
>> Fedora Core 3 was released with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2
>>
>> The latest release of OpenOffioce is 1.1.3
>> (http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.3/release_notes_1.1.3.html ) and
>> this was weeks before FC 3 was released. We've still not seen an
>> update..
>

> I think weeks might be a little too soon for it to make it into a
> Fedora Core release. I do think that about two months should warrant
> it, considering the Fedora Core releases are done two to three times a
> year.

Fair enough, it's been a few months. I'll be "patiently" waiting for
their update.. ;-)

>> There are about a bazillion bug fixes in 1.1.3..
>

> They better be very important bugs, otherwise The Fedora Project will
> ignore you. Up2Date has had awful problems for all three releases and
> they haven't been fixed yet. The Apt compatibility is basically
> useless. I doubt that there are any security issues with Open Office
> since it's not a Microsoft product. ;-)

1.1.1 had a HUGE bug with making bloated PDF files (which was corrected
in 1.1.2) but to the best of my knowledge, there was never an update for
FC 2.

>> I'd have upgraded myself but I like the integration you get with
>> Fedora's version.
>

> You could always try making your own RPM. I've had to do it before. It
> also give you the opportunity to compile it for your specific
> architecture for better performance.

I guess my posts aren't making it to everyone.... I just wrote earlier
today about giving up and building my own Thunderbird 0.9 RPM....

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg08178.html

Scott