Unable to activate Ethernet Card

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 5 01:07:09 UTC 2004

dcf fcd wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for all the tips. But there is no change yet.One thing
> though. I tried activating the lan card from the terminal using
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up and it worked the first time. I had also

In order for you to be able to ifconfig the connection up, you must have
the proper ethernet modules loaded, or at least configured in
/etc/modprobe.conf.  That's good.  That's 50% of the battle.  Now, why
can't you use system-config-network to configure the (now working)
ethernet card to active at boot time?  [From the GUI, click the Fedora
-> System Tools -> Network Device Control   From there, select your
ethernet device and push the "Configure..." button, (supply your root
password, if necessary), select your device in the Network Configuration
window, and push the "Edit" button in the toolbar.  Check the box that
reads: "Activate device when the computer starts"]

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net