Apt Repositories: Bleeding Means Bleeding!

Dan Trainor - hostinthebox.net info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Oct 20 16:43:01 UTC 2004

Temlakos wrote:

> Everyone:
>
> Be careful what repositories you subscribe to! Recently I "upgraded"
> glib2 and gtk2 from a repo in the UK, whose URL escapes me at the
> moment. It totally mangled my X configuration and I was forced to nuke
> my installation and start over. (Fortunately, I had another host to
> which I could temporarily transfer my files.) I have now decided to be a
> bit more selective in the repositories I use, and I urge everyone here
> to do the same.
>
> Temlakos

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'm not entirely sure how you
can blame a single repository for your troubles.

There are many factors involved in this issue.  Have you compared those
new packages against other versions?  Did those packages have md5sum
attachments with them?  Did you, install the wrong version(s) of said
program(s)?  Ya just can't blame a bad experience on something like a
repository.

A mangled X config is easy to recover from.  Perhaps in the future you
can elaborate on your X troubles, and we may be able to assist.

I know we don't like the UK much, but we can't blame them for issues
like this ;)

Thanks
-dant
-hostinthebox.net