gaim idle overrides spec'd message (WTF?) and a few less agonizing gaim quandries

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Tue Oct 26 17:35:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 02:03, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> I've recently been sucked into doing IM by one of my good friends.  Its
> been far less painful than I remember icq being.  There's only been one
> major rub: why does gaim override my specified away message with the idle
> message?  This is really irritating.  If I know I'm going to be gone and
> I've put up something specific to let people know that I'd really like
> that to stick and override the idle timeout default.  I know I could
> change the idle timeout default away message each time to convey the
> relevant information, but that really seems to defeat the purpose of
> having customizable away messages.  I've had this happen to me twice with
> the Fedora gaim-1.0.0-0.FC2 rpm installed on an Opteron box.

Hmm, sounds like a bug - bugzilla it, including the release version as
well as the fact that you're on an Opteron box. Might be a x86_64 issue

> - is there anything out there that makes it easy to move gaim preferences
> between machines?

rsync ~/.gaim somewhere else. Thats what I do

> - I'd like to have the same username work on my laptop and desktop.  I
> tried setting the jabber "resource" to something unique in each case but
> it still only let me login once.  Do I have to create different usernames
> for each computer I'm going to be on simultaneously?  I want to be able to
> send URL's between boxes through this for instance.

Yes, if you want two logins, you need two UIDs (i.e. something unique).
Same for ICQ/MSN/etc...
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi