REV drive as backup corrupted....

Bob Hillegas bobhillegas at houston.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 03:36:18 UTC 2004

Is anyone using a REV drive under Fedora Core 2 as a backup device?

I just installed my internal scsi REV drive and tested writing to it.
Everything looked great. Then I tried to backup about 5 gigs of data to
it using rsync -auR /home/ /mnt/rev/.

The copy started but when I came back 5 hours later it had stalled my
system to a crawl, exhausted most of my 1 gig of memory.

I reset the system and decided to erase the drive and start over. Using
mkudffs from udftools-1.0.0b3.tar.gz, I issued the command:
mkudffs /dev/scd0
I get logged several times:

Oct  2 22:00:16 north kernel: Current sr0: sense key Medium Error
Oct  2 22:00:16 north kernel: Additional sense: Medium format corrupted
Oct  2 22:00:16 north kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Oct  2 22:00:16 north kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Oct  2 22:00:16 north kernel: scsi2: ERROR on channel 0, id 12, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00

The kernel is 2.6.8-1.521smp Fedora Core 2.

Any suggestions as to how to revive the disk?
Recommended backup procedures, current limitations?
I will work with anyone who needs some experimentation to resolve the issue. I do have other disks I can use.

Thanks, BobH
--
Bob Hillegas <bobhillegas at houston.rr.com>