Video card tests in Linux. ATI vs Nvidia

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:45:53 UTC 2004

Hello,

Here is a review of different video cards on Linux.  They test on SuSE
but many users of Fedora will find this interesting.  There is a good
discussion about the problems of installing the Video drivers and all
the problems that the reviewer found installing ATI drivers.

I for one fought for almost a month to get and ATI card to work in FC1
only to change to Nvidia which installed in minutes. :)

[quote]
Our first test bed was an nForce3 MSI Socket 939 board. We isolated
some of our problems to the agpgart module - for older ATI drivers, we
need to load a separate specific AGP module on SuSE 9.1 for DRI to
load correctly. On our MSI nForce3 board, this should have been the
nvidia_agp module. However, try as we could, we could not get
nvidia_agp and fglrx to play well with each other. Some of the issues
stem from SuSE 9.1 not recognizing the nForce3 chipset correctly, but
some issues may stem from ATI drivers just not recognizing everything
correctly. After switching to a Socket 939 VIA motherboard, our
problems suddenly disappeared. Of course, we had to re-test our entire
NVIDIA suite on the new motherboard (we saved it for last the second
time around).
[/quote]

There may be some points that will help some people having problems.

<http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2229&p=1>

--
Robin Laing