Looking for backup software of complete system

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 19:44:17 UTC 2004

Rick Lim wrote:
> My preferred method of backup would be to rewriteable CD ROM, not meaning to
> start a flame war but with my experience of tapes,,,, they eventually wear
> out, you always write over the same section of tape at the start and this is
> the most likely failure point, not to mention stretch, size of media etc.
>
> The criteria for the backup software is
>
> 1) Total OS and installed software backup of running system without taking
> it offline
> 2) Preferable GNU
> 3) CD-RW back media
> 4) Either 'Boot and restore from media' or very little intervention to
> restore.
> 5) EXT2 and EXT3 filesystems
> 6) Does not have to do incremental backup, a complete image is preferred.

I agree that CD ROM is nice, but the size of CD ROM limits
the amount of data that can be put onto the CD ROM.  I
personally use a second disk drive and write my backups to
it.  The chances of losing both disk drives is rare.  I
can get a drive with over 100Gb of space for about $100
and can be used over and over again.  Files that I really
need to keep forever are written to CD ROM, but these are
more like my resume and such which do not take up a lot of
space.  The OS is only backed up for disaster recovery and
I do not care much about going way back in time.  I can not
even fit my Mail directory onto a CD ROM.

DVD ROM is better, but still does not have enough space
to fit everything on on DVD.  And I am not aware of any
backup software that allows you to span CD or DVD ROM's.

Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org
Sage member    http://www.sage.org