USB CF Card Readers

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Oct 15 14:21:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Temlakos wrote:

> Everyone:
>
> Several weeks ago I posted the problem I had with my Lexar Media CF card
> reader trying to connect to a 2.4.2129 kernel and causing a panic.
>
> Earlier this week I finally got the parts I needed to build another
> system, and on this system I installed Fedora Core 2 and the 2.6.8
> kernel. Result: no more panic.
>
> Well, fine--when I connect the card reader, the kernel detects it and
> doesn't blink an eye. That's good. Now--how do I mount it, and at what
> point, and can anyone show me how to get it to mount automatically upon
> connection?

I don't remember if this question has been asked before, but is this
reader a multi-card/slot reader?  If so, make sure you add this to your
modprobe.conf file:

options scsi_mod max_luns=255

If the reader is a single slot, CF only reader, and you have no other SCSI
devices, then you should be able to mount /dev/sda1 when you have a card
in it.  Where you mount it is your choice...I tend to use something like:

/mnt/cfcard

You can then add something like this to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1    /mnt/cfcard    auto    user,noauto,rw 0 0

Which will allow any user on the system to issue:

"mount /mnt/cfcard" to mount it or "umount /mnt/cfcard" to unmount.

The easiest way to look in your /var/log/messages file for something like
this:

Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Vendor:           Model: USB Card
Reader   Rev: 1.01
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdb at
scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Vendor:           Model: USB Card
Reader   Rev: 1.01
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdc at
scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Vendor:           Model: USB Card
Reader   Rev: 1.01
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct 15 01:09:00 winblows kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdd at
scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 2

This will tell you what "drive" devices have been added for this reader.

In my case, because I have a multi-card reader, and have that option line
in my modprobe.conf file, I get 3 devices added.  Without that line, it
would only see one slot.  Also, because I have a SCSI hard drive (which is
/dev/sda), my reader's devices started at /dev/sdb.

If you have a multi-card reader, your best bet might just be to insert the
card, and try to mount each "drive" device...but remember to add "1" after
each drive device (ie, drive /dev/sda, use partition /dev/sda1), as most
(if not all) of these devices treat the cards like partitioned and
formatttted hard disks.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit