Dovecot or Cyrus

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Oct 26 05:08:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:53 +1000, Ben Halicki wrote:

> Looking to replace our UW-IMAP server with either Dovecot or Cyrus.  Has
> anyone had any experience with these two IMAP servers?  As far as I can
> tell, the Dovecot filesystem is compatible with uw-imap, which would make
> the upgrade easier.

It is, but when you run dovecot in compatibility mode (on mbox format
folders), you gain very little performance benefit over UW-imapd.

It's quite easy to convert from mbox format folders to the Maildir
format that dovecot works fastest with.  There are various scripts
available that will help; Google around for them.

Cyrus is a pain in the neck to administer, but it has some features
(mainly virtual users) that were not available in dovecot until
recently, and it probably still has some features that dovecot doesn't.
That said, it has very little active development or support, and
terrible documentation; I migrated from Cyrus to dovecot six months ago,
and wouldn't go back.

	<b