Intro to services

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Oct 27 14:52:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:23:54AM -0400, Bill Matthews wrote:
> But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
> my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
> start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
> with the command 'service whatever start'.

Other people have pointed out various tools you can use. But here's
something that might have been confusing you:

> But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
> the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
> here?

Fedora (and many other Linux distributions) use runlevels slightly
differently from the way Solaris does it. In Solaris, they're cumulative --
everything in runlevel 1 starts, then 2, 3, 4, and 5. In Fedora, they're
largely independent -- when the system comes up in runlevel 5, it looks at
what's supposed to be running at that particular level, without considering
lower-numbered ones. So if you're starting with the GUI running (runlevel
5), enabling a service in runlevel 3 is irrelevant.