[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 360 (Out of office reply.)



I am currently an annual leave please contact Paul Newman (Paul Newman outrightltd com) if your request is urgent.

Thanks,

Jon.


>>> fedora-list 10/29/04 22:02 >>>

Send fedora-list mailing list submissions to
	fedora-list redhat com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	fedora-list-request redhat com

You can reach the person managing the list at
	fedora-list-owner redhat com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of fedora-list digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP (Hans Troost)
   2. Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
      reply.) (Brian Mury)
   3. Re: java time (Robin Laing)
   4. Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP (Paul Howarth)
   5. Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
      reply.) (Paul Howarth)
   6. In what package can I find the sql.h (Cartman)
   7. Re: Firefox 1.0 RC1 in Fedora Extras? (D. D. Brierton)
   8. Re: In what package can I find the sql.h (Edwin Dicker)
   9. Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP (Hans Troost)
  10. Re: In what package can I find the sql.h (Paul Howarth)
  11. Re: eM Bay Reader on FC1 (linux r)
  12. please assist: yum strangeness, can't update anymore
      (Angelo Machils)
  13. Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP (Paul Howarth)
  14. Re: java time (Kevin J. Cummings)
  15. Installing problem (Muhammad Yusuf Bin Musa)
  16. RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
      reply.) (STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT))
  17. Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories (Beartooth)
  18. Re: Firefox 1.0 RC1 in Fedora Extras? (Federico Tello Gentile)
  19. Re: please assist: yum strangeness, can't update anymore
      (Satish Balay)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:03:46 +0200
From: Hans Troost <fedora troost tweakdsl nl>
Subject: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <200410292203 46440 fedora troost tweakdsl nl>
Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="us-ascii"

Hi all,

About a week ago Michael Schwendt helped me out after I used qtparted to create a FAT32 partition on my disk, which damaged my configuration. I had to change my grub.conf, the fstab etc.... (could not boot anymore). After that everything seems to work fine again, but...

now some problems come up with my non-linux partitions: I mount them (also have the NTFS-driver installed), see them but...

I don't see "normal" windows files on it (for example /dev/hda2 is my WinXP boot partition, working fine, /dev/hda10 contains some file I placed there with fedora, before the "crash")
The strange thing is: on the "non-linux" drives (both the NTFS and the VFAT ones) I see only the files that really are on /dev/hda9.
To be honest: /dev/hda9 indeed is the new VFAT-partition I created with qtparted, causing the "crash"

The WinXP installation still works fine and I placed a partition-specific named, empty text-file on each partition, using WinXP.
The file on /dev/hda9 (called g-30.txt (G:-drive on windows, 30Gb) is shown on /dev/hda2, dev/hda5, dev/hda10 and /dev/hda11 as the only file (which is correct for /dev/hda9, is is the first and only file on it)
So it seems that the drives are no longer (as it was before the crash) correctly "mapped"

So I think something more has gone wrong then I have repaired, following Michael Schwendt's instructions (thanks again Michael!!)

This is my disk:

fdisk -l output:
	Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
	255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
	Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
	
	Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
	/dev/hda1   *           1         192     1542208+  12  Compaq diagnostics
	/dev/hda2             193        1404     9735390    7  HPFS/NTFS
	/dev/hda3            1405       19457   145010722+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
	/dev/hda5            1405        5400    32097838+   7  HPFS/NTFS
	/dev/hda6            5401        5413      104391   83  Linux
	/dev/hda7            5414        6718    10482381   83  Linux
	/dev/hda8            6719        6972     2040223+  82  Linux swap
	/dev/hda9           15149       19065    31463271    b  W95 FAT32
	/dev/hda10          19066       19457     3148708+   b  W95 FAT32
	/dev/hda11           6973       10888    31455238+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
	
	Partition table entries are not in disk order


This is /etc/fstab:	
	LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
	LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
	none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
	none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
	none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
	none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
	/dev/hda8              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
	/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
	/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
	/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
	/dev/hda2		/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,umask=000 0 0
	/dev/hda5		/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,umask=000 0 0
	/dev/hda9		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0
	/dev/hda10		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0
	/dev/hda11		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0

So this is the output of mount -l:
	/dev/hda7 on / type ext3 (rw) [/]
	none on /proc type proc (rw)
	none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
	none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
	usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
	/dev/hda6 on /boot type ext3 (rw) [/boot]
	none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
	/dev/hda2 on /mnt/windows type ntfs (ro,umask=000)
	/dev/hda5 on /mnt/windows type ntfs (ro,umask=000)
	/dev/hda9 on /mnt/windows type vfat (rw,umask=000)
	/dev/hda10 on /mnt/windows type vfat (rw,umask=000)
	/dev/hda11 on /mnt/windows type vfat (rw,umask=000)
	sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Can anybody help me out?

-- 
With kind regards,

Hans Troost
e-mail: fedora + chr(64) + troost.tweakdsl.nl



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:04:04 -0700
From: Brian Mury <b mury ieee org>
Subject: Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
	reply.)
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099080244 14509 11 camel localhost localdomain>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-29-10 at 12:55 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Oh my God... this idiot's going to be gone for a *year* and we're going

I think "annual leave" means his yearly vacation. He's probably gone for
two or three weeks.

> to get automated replies daily quoting the entire digest? Arrrgh...

Maybe, maybe not. Most software, at least in my experience, is smart
enough to only send an out-of-office reply to the first mail from any
sender. Since he's getting the digest, it always comes from the same
sender. I guess we'll find out tomorrow...




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:23:11 -0600
From: Robin Laing <Robin Laing drdc-rddc gc ca>
Subject: Re: java time
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4182A6AF 1060609 drdc-rddc gc ca>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Mike Markiw III wrote:
>
>>Is it just me, or are the output of both the "date" command and the java
>>program exactly the same? :-)
> 
> 
> Close, but no cigar ;-)  The hours are different by 1 (22 hundred hours vs. 23 hundred hours).  I would check to see if the daylight savings time settings are the reason.  With a difference of only one hour, it seems like a strange but possible culprit.  Just a thought.
> 
> -Mike
> 
> 
> 

My shell date command indicates that it is in DST.

Try it on Monday and see what happens.  Daylight savings time will be 
over. :)

-- 
Robin Laing



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:23:18 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099081398 29766 1856 camel laurel intra city-fan org>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:03, Hans Troost wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> About a week ago Michael Schwendt helped me out after I used qtparted to create a FAT32 partition on my disk, which damaged my configuration. I had to change my grub.conf, the fstab etc.... (could not boot anymore). After that everything seems to work fine again, but...
> 
> now some problems come up with my non-linux partitions: I mount them (also have the NTFS-driver installed), see them but...
> 
> I don't see "normal" windows files on it (for example /dev/hda2 is my WinXP boot partition, working fine, /dev/hda10 contains some file I placed there with fedora, before the "crash")
> The strange thing is: on the "non-linux" drives (both the NTFS and the VFAT ones) I see only the files that really are on /dev/hda9.
> To be honest: /dev/hda9 indeed is the new VFAT-partition I created with qtparted, causing the "crash"
> 
> The WinXP installation still works fine and I placed a partition-specific named, empty text-file on each partition, using WinXP.
> The file on /dev/hda9 (called g-30.txt (G:-drive on windows, 30Gb) is shown on /dev/hda2, dev/hda5, dev/hda10 and /dev/hda11 as the only file (which is correct for /dev/hda9, is is the first and only file on it)
> So it seems that the drives are no longer (as it was before the crash) correctly "mapped"
> 
> So I think something more has gone wrong then I have repaired, following Michael Schwendt's instructions (thanks again Michael!!)
> 
> This is my disk:
> 
> fdisk -l output:
> 	Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> 	255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
> 	Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> 	
> 	Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> 	/dev/hda1   *           1         192     1542208+  12  Compaq diagnostics
> 	/dev/hda2             193        1404     9735390    7  HPFS/NTFS
> 	/dev/hda3            1405       19457   145010722+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> 	/dev/hda5            1405        5400    32097838+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> 	/dev/hda6            5401        5413      104391   83  Linux
> 	/dev/hda7            5414        6718    10482381   83  Linux
> 	/dev/hda8            6719        6972     2040223+  82  Linux swap
> 	/dev/hda9           15149       19065    31463271    b  W95 FAT32
> 	/dev/hda10          19066       19457     3148708+   b  W95 FAT32
> 	/dev/hda11           6973       10888    31455238+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> 	
> 	Partition table entries are not in disk order
> 
> 
> This is /etc/fstab:	
> 	LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> 	LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> 	none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> 	none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> 	none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> 	none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> 	/dev/hda8              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> 	/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> 	/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> 	/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> 	/dev/hda2		/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,umask=000 0 0
> 	/dev/hda5		/mnt/windows		ntfs	auto,ro,umask=000 0 0
> 	/dev/hda9		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0
> 	/dev/hda10		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0
> 	/dev/hda11		/mnt/windows		vfat	auto,rw,umask=000 0 0

Why do you have 5 different partitions mounted at /mnt/windows?

Only the last of them to be mounted will be visible (most likely
/dev/hda9 from your description).

Paul.
-- 
Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:24:03 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>
Subject: Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
	reply.)
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099081443 29766 1858 camel laurel intra city-fan org>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:04, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-29-10 at 12:55 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > Oh my God... this idiot's going to be gone for a *year* and we're going
> 
> I think "annual leave" means his yearly vacation. He's probably gone for
> two or three weeks.
> 
> > to get automated replies daily quoting the entire digest? Arrrgh...
> 
> Maybe, maybe not. Most software, at least in my experience, is smart
> enough to only send an out-of-office reply to the first mail from any
> sender. Since he's getting the digest, it always comes from the same
> sender. I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

We already know; there have been two auto-replies already.

Paul.
-- 
Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:28:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Cartman <cartman8d yahoo com>
Subject: In what package can I find the sql.h
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <20041029202854 44983 qmail web53801 mail yahoo com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Hi, I need install the package that contain the sql.h 
  which is it?

=====
Gracias.
Atentamente,
CARLOS ARTURO TRUJILLO SILVA

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Información de Estados Unidos y América Latina, en Yahoo! Noticias.
Visítanos en http://noticias.espanol.yahoo.com



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:26:56 +0100
From: "D. D. Brierton" <darren dzr-web com>
Subject: Re: Firefox 1.0 RC1 in Fedora Extras?
To: "Fedora Users' List" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099081616 25732 196 camel excession dzr>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 20:16, David Cary Hart wrote:
> Actually 1.0RC1 has now been released. It's a complex build from source
> but an easy install from the downloadable installer. VERY much worth the
> effort.

Yeah, I know RC1 is out. But I was hoping to help out with the Fedora
Extras RPMs -- I don't want to download the version from Mozilla.org.

Thanks anyway.

Best, Darren

-- 
=====================================================================
D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com
       Trying is the first step towards failure (Homer Simpson)
=====================================================================



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:34:16 +0200
From: "Edwin Dicker" <fedora dicker nl>
Subject: Re: In what package can I find the sql.h
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <001f01c4bdf6$a8e04110$0201010a wxpedwin>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Cartman" <cartman8d yahoo com>
To: <fedora-list redhat com>
Sent: Friday, 29 October, 2004 22:28
Subject: In what package can I find the sql.h


> Hi, I need install the package that contain the sql.h
>  which is it?
>
> =====
> Gracias.
> Atentamente,
> CARLOS ARTURO TRUJILLO SILVA

There seems to be a sql.h file in the unixODBC-devel.i386 0:2.2.8-5 package.
just do a 'yum provides sql.h'
and the result will be presented to you.

hth
Edwin 



------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:38:41 +0200
From: Hans Troost <fedora troost tweakdsl nl>
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <200410292238 41391 fedora troost tweakdsl nl>
Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="utf-8"

Paul,

Perhaps it is not wise (it is just to be able to "share" files and perhaps 1 is enough.
OK, I can change that.
But.. the question still remains.. it worked before so I am a little bit confused about your answer:"Only the last.....

Or do I have it wrong (bad short-term memory??)

On Friday 29 October 2004 22:23, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> Why do you have 5 different partitions mounted at /mnt/windows?
>
> Only the last of them to be mounted will be visible (most likely
> /dev/hda9 from your description).
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>

-- 
With kind regards,

Hans Troost
e-mail: fedora + chr(64) + troost.tweakdsl.nl



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:40:23 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>
Subject: Re: In what package can I find the sql.h
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099082423 29766 1872 camel laurel intra city-fan org>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:28, Cartman wrote:
> Hi, I need install the package that contain the sql.h 
>   which is it?

unixODBC-devel

Paul.
-- 
Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>



------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:40:41 -0400
From: linux r <linuxr gmail com>
Subject: Re: eM Bay Reader on FC1
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <b60a966f0410291340669bdbc4 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:32:42 -0700 (PDT), Alan Mead <cubrewer yahoo com> wrote:
> I have a Gateway with one of those multiple-media readers
> (SD/DF/...).   In KDE's control panel, under information, the device
> itself seems to be seen, attached to "USB UHCI Root Hub (4)"... Does
> anyone know how I read media on this thing?
> 
> -Alan
> 
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list redhat com
> To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
> 

What do you have in /dev?  Also....why don't you do a 'yum update' and
update everything on the box.  I had an external reader that gave me
grief and I di dthat and no more problems.  Not sure about KDE's
control panel, I don't use it.  Need to find out how Linux treats
that.  Windows sees both the usb reader, AND the media as seperate
devices.  Basically I had usb problems but this fixed it, it may have
been some sort of differrence between v1 and v2 w/FC1.




-- 
Marc




Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think. 
Ayn Rand



------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:41:15 +0200
From: Angelo Machils <angelus sangreal demon nl>
Subject: please assist: yum strangeness, can't update anymore
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <4182AAEB 1000705 sangreal demon nl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hello there.

I'm using the yum.conf from http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf and now I 
get this message when I try to do an update:
inding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
.Package vlc needs libdvdnav.so.0, this is not available.
Vlc is the latest version (0.7.2) and libdvdnav.so.0 is available in the 
/usr/lib directory. The version of  libdvdnav is 
libdvdnav-0.1.9-3.1.fc2.fr.....

Thanks in advance, Angelo



------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:43:03 +0100
From: Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour non-linux partitions: HELP
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1099082583 29766 1876 camel laurel intra city-fan org>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:38, Hans Troost wrote:
> Perhaps it is not wise (it is just to be able to "share" files and perhaps 1 is enough.
> OK, I can change that.
> But.. the question still remains.. it worked before so I am a little bit confused about your answer:"Only the last.....
> 
> Or do I have it wrong (bad short-term memory??)

I think it's your memory to be honest.

If you create directories /mnt/windows/c /mnt/windows/d ...
/mnt/windows/g etc. and mount each partition on the appropriate
directory, things will be much less confusing.

Paul.
-- 
Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org>



------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:45:36 -0400
From: "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings kjchome homeip net>
Subject: Re: java time
To: Robin Laing drdc-rddc gc ca,	For users of Fedora Core releases
	<fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4182ABF0 7060500 kjchome homeip net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike Markiw III wrote:
> 
>>
>>> Is it just me, or are the output of both the "date" command and the java
>>> program exactly the same? :-)
>>
>>
>>
>> Close, but no cigar ;-)  The hours are different by 1 (22 hundred 
>> hours vs. 23 hundred hours).  I would check to see if the daylight 
>> savings time settings are the reason.  With a difference of only one 
>> hour, it seems like a strange but possible culprit.  Just a thought.
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>>
>>
> 
> My shell date command indicates that it is in DST.
> 
> Try it on Monday and see what happens.  Daylight savings time will be 
> over. :)
> 

But his timezone was GEST in both cases.  I'm not familiar with that 
timezone.  Does it have DST?  Does it end when the USA's ends?

-- 
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com
cummings kjchome homeip net
cummings kjc386 framingham ma us



------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 05:48:09 +0900
From: Muhammad Yusuf Bin Musa <azarias106 ybb ne jp>
Subject: Installing problem
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <4182AC89 7000207 ybb ne jp>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi,

My name is Yusuf. I have problems to install fedora core in my computer. 
I can't get into the installation interface. When the program asked 
wheather I want to install with the graphic installtion or text,I 
choosed graphic but my computer just reboot itself and can't  go to the 
setup.Its also happens when I choosed the text installation. What should 
I do? My computer hadware is as follow

Pentium 4 2.8 mhz
Radeon 9600 XT graphic card.
P4P800 motherboard by asus
Seagate 160gb hardrive
516 ram

please help me.

Yusuf



------------------------------

Message: 16
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:48:10 -0500
From: "STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT)" <stymar lucent com>
Subject: RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 358 (Out of office
	reply.)
To: "'For users of Fedora Core releases'" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <17D8724A2A8D9542B2B8AE546B9E5BBC02C08E98 AZ4315EXCH001U>
Content-Type: text/plain

I was on digest mode for some time,  you get a new one every
time there are 18 messages collected.  On this list, that's
about one every half hour.

Bob Styma
> 



------------------------------

Message: 17
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:53:11 -0400
From: Beartooth <beartooth adelphia net>
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <pan 2004 10 29 20 53 09 446631 adelphia net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:41:17 -0400, William Hooper wrote:

> Now you've hit the problem.  Too many people are convinced that there is
> some magic in the yum.conf instead of actually trying to understand it. 
> I cringe every time I see someone pointed to a FAQ to get a yum.conf
> rather than told how to make their own changes.

Make that one of the problems, or part of the problem. Some of us would
rather run anything than MegaScat, and find linux (especially RedHat &
Fedora) somewhat less unapproachable than other distributions -- but can't
begin to follow such explanations as we commonly find, even if we're at
least mildly interested. (Several of my friends and correspondents refuse
even to try linux, despite their dissatisfaction with Windows, because
they see indications of the time & effort I put into it.)

Even such as we do notice that running yum is easier than up2date (or,
afaict, apt). But without being able to read (let alone write) code, we
can at least use a yum.conf if we can copy or download it.
	
> The beauty of yum is that it uses standard protocols so you can easily
> look at the repos with your web browser and test to your hearts content
> with something like wget.

What are repos, and why do you look at them? What would you test??

I did use wget once -- with someone walking me through, step by step. I
don't have the kind of mind that can recall the details, nor even where to
look for them. I remember that it did a great swath of downloading all at
once, instead of laboriously one rpm after another ... But even though I
know enough to look at man wget, the result is the usual: I'm lost before
I get very far. And this is still happening after years of linux.

-- 
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!





------------------------------

Message: 18
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:57:07 -0400
From: Federico Tello Gentile <federicotg gmail com>
Subject: Re: Firefox 1.0 RC1 in Fedora Extras?
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <39f69a87041029135737e4559c mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/firefox/
There is how to make an RPM from the tar.gz binary. I did it and that
is the Firefox I'm using to post this.


On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:26:56 +0100, D. D. Brierton <darren dzr-web com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 20:16, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > Actually 1.0RC1 has now been released. It's a complex build from source
> > but an easy install from the downloadable installer. VERY much worth the
> > effort.
> 
> Yeah, I know RC1 is out. But I was hoping to help out with the Fedora
> Extras RPMs -- I don't want to download the version from Mozilla.org.
>



------------------------------

Message: 19
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:02:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Satish Balay <balay fastmail fm>
Subject: Re: please assist: yum strangeness, can't update anymore
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <Pine LNX 4 61 0410291559310 3653 localhost localdomain>
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII



On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Angelo Machils wrote:

> Hello there.
> 
> I'm using the yum.conf from http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf and now I get
> this message when I try to do an update:
> inding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> .Package vlc needs libdvdnav.so.0, this is not available.
> Vlc is the latest version (0.7.2) and libdvdnav.so.0 is available in the
> /usr/lib directory. The version of  libdvdnav is
> libdvdnav-0.1.9-3.1.fc2.fr.....

This is a repository problem with 'vlc' (whichever repo it came from)

There is a new version of libdvdnav - but 'vlc' which is currently
installed (from the same repository?) depends on the old libdvdnav
currently installed. (so the new libdvdnav package breaks this
dependency)

The solution is to have an updated vnc build with the updated libdvdnav

If you don't care for the new libdvdnav - just do:

yum --exclude=libdvdnav update

Satish



------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list redhat com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

End of fedora-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 360
*******************************************



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]