Problem: Intel 82543 card reports lots of carrier errors

Guolin Cheng guolin at alexa.com
Tue Sep 28 17:52:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

 Anyone know why Intel 82543 gigabit cards report lots of carrier
problems?  I don't know why Intel 82543 gigabit network card using
external transceiver(reported by ethtool) since it is directly connected
to HP Switch with CAT-6 RJ45 network cables. Any one can explain where
is the external transceiver for the Intel 82543 cards?  I tried to run
"ethtool -s eth1 xcvr internal" trying to set its transreciver to
internal(on-board) but the operation fails silently. Please help.

 In contrast, Intel 82540 gigabit cards reports no carrier problems at
all, and use internal transceiver(reported by ethtool).

 The following are the output of commands ethtool and ifconfig:

		[root at dumbboy root]# ifconfig eth1 | grep carrier
		          TX packets:56944847 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 carrier:39363496

		[root at dumbboy root]# ethtool -S eth1 | grep -E
'carrier|tx_packets'
		     tx_packets: 57027012
		     tx_carrier_errors: 39417377

		[root at dumbboy root]# ethtool eth1