Boot hangs after snort initialization

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Mon Apr 4 07:47:14 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Mark Sargent wrote:
>>
>>> my boot hangs after snort is initialized. The last line shown after
>>> the snort initialization message is Enabling swap space  OK and then
>>> a continually blinking cursor below it. Nothing is reported in
>>> either /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages. Cheers.
>>

>> The boot will be hanging because you're not running snort in daemon
>> mode. Though I'm surprised the "hang" is so early in the boot
>> process, given that you're running snort from rc.local, which is
>> right at the end of the boot process. Are you booting with "rhgb
>> quiet" as boot parameters in grub.conf?
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Hi All,
>
> something weird. Now, I don't get anything from snort at boot. Here is
> how I came about this. I, today, changed this,
> /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort to this
> /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -Dg snort
>
> and with not seeing anything relating to snort at boot, and it not
> running after the FC3 is loaded. I checked with ps -auxwww | grep snort,
> I went and removed the D option, just to see if it were trying to
> load, with the errors, like b4, at bootup. It's not. Now, I haven't
> made any other changes here. Still, if I type snort in the cli, it
> starts fine. What's happening here..? Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

Hi All,

here is the script in rc.local,

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort

and the location of snort and files

[root at localhost ~]# whereis snort
snort: /etc/snort /usr/local/bin/snort

I'm sure it's correct.  Cheers.