Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 21:44:03 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:

>I'd be willing to bet that
>everyone who's declared that you should ignore these protocols, and always
>jumper master/slave, or some other variation on this argument, have simply
>been lucky - they are victims  who just haven't been bit, ............., yet!

Now that I've been bitten by the CS and traditional cable settings, I'll
follow this new tradition.

I was surprised that the devices set to master on the CS slave postion
and the drive set to slave but in the CS master position functioned
where the device set to master on the master cable plus the device
jumpered to slave on the CS slave position acted strangely and
unpredictable.
I guess most people take into account that the 80-pin cable works for
UDMA but don't take into account that the cable is also wired for
master/slave using the chip select jumper settings.
Live and learn.
Jim

--
The kernel is not there to cover up for usermode programmers inability
to get things right. It has enough to do covering up for the hardware folk

	- Alan Cox on linux-ker