FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 11 17:45:24 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
>
>> On 8/7/05, J.Underwood <J.Underwood at open.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am considering purchasing a USB hard drive to use with a FC4
>>> system.
>
> I am currently considering one of the Lacie 80 GB models, and was
> wondering if anyone had any comments on how well supported these types
> of devices are with FC4?
>
> [rewrapped]
>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>

>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> Nice name ;).  I would highly suggest that you consider buying a hard
>> drive enclosure and an internal drive to go in it.  I think you can
>> get a lot more for your money that way, and you can have more control
>> over the kind of enclosure you get.  An enclosure will cost you about
>> $30 - $40 probably and then you can use an internal drive which are
>> generally much less expensive, especially if you don't mind rebates.
>

> [snip]
>
> Interesting idea. What is your cabling setup? How do you power?
> In my experience, modern drives don't have much problems with
> heat, unless they are exercised a lot. I have a USB drive which
> is covered in papers on my desk, and it never gets very hot.
>
> USB 2 is not all that slow, however.
>
> Mike

I went through a similar case this week.  Needed to get a bigger drive.
   I purchased a new drive and installed a clean version of FC4.
Transfered all my data using the HD ribbon cable (Case won't support two
drives) and then installed the old 60gig HD into a generic external case.

The only problem I had was that Western Digitals must be set for Cable
Select to have the case work with the drive.  I also hate the large blue
LED illuminate bar on the case as it provides more light than the
background light in my office.

Automounts both partitions in /media/

--
Robin Laing