synaptics driver not loaded

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 21:42:58 UTC 2005

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 14:36, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>>It is the package I expect. However if I change the primary input device
>>>(i.e. mouse0) in my xorg.conf file to use the synaptics driver via:
>>>
>>>Driver      "synaptics"
>>>
>>>then the mouse does not work at all however if I use :
>>>
>>>Driver      "mouse"
>>>
>>>then it works. This makes me suspect the synaptics driver is not loaded.
>>>
>>>Thoughts ?
>>>

>>The synaptics driver should indicate its status in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>>
>>Here are the relevant portions of my xorg.conf:
>>
>>Section "ServerLayout"
>>         Identifier     "Default Layout"
>>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>         InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
>>EndSection
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>         Driver      "mouse"
>>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>>EndSection
>>
>>Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier  "Synaptics"
>>         Driver      "synaptics"
>>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>>         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
>>EndSection
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>That's how it was configured by a fresh install of FC4 (except for the
>>SHMConfig option).  In theory, the touchpad (and pointing stick) and an
>>external mouse should all function as expected.
>>

>>--
>> 		Matthew Saltzman
>>
>>Clemson University Math Sciences
>>mjs AT clemson DOT edu
>>http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>>

>Thanks for the info..
>
>Here's what I find now.
>If I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a fresh re-boot I see the following in
>relation to the synaptics driver:
>
>The driver gets loaded:
>
>(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
>(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
>(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
>        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
>
>Then the  driver fails to find a valid device??
>
>(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
>(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
>(**) Option "CorePointer"
>(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
>(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
>(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
>(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
>(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.5
> [...]
You could backup your xorg.conf file and try to run
 system-config-display --reconfig
w/o having the external USB mouse installed. Then you could try X again
with the new config and hopefully your synaptics touchpad works.
I never use an external mouse, so I do not know what having two mice
attached do to their actions or if you need to have two seperate entries
in the file for both to work correctly.
Since you have your xorg.conf saved, you might also try connecting both
mice and running
system-config-display --reconfig
 to see if this will add two seperate entries for each device.

Just thoughts that might work for you.

Jim

--
Everyone is a genius.  It's just that some people are too stupid to realize it.