router metrics

Steven J Lamb redhattedsheep at adiis.net
Tue Dec 20 14:58:58 UTC 2005

I have been looking at the information you guys gave me and it looks like
some good tools. although I already have a bandwidth tester called ttcp
which seems to work great. I guess what I want to know is how process
intensive iptables gets to be. I am planning on routing aprox 4 class-c
networks across a 10Mbit/second fiber media converter. I guess the questions
I have is whether I can get away with using a Linux box or if I should buy a
used Cisco router. I have essentially a spare server with two Giga bit
Ethernet ports on it but I don't want to run my fiber through that if it is
going to slow down my traffic. I don't yet have the equipment or the fiber
so I can not do an empirical test. if I could then I would be able to do the
try and tune method. so I guess my question is iptables specific. does any
one out there know what parts of iptables costs a lot in cpu/memory. my
spare server is really a dual xeon 2.8 GHz with 3 GB ram dual gigabit
Ethernet and is currently running a small apache web and my spam assassin
spam filters. it is by no means being overloaded now but I don't want to buy
a media converter and find that I don't have the processor power.

thanks

Steven Lamb