ReiserFS & EXT2/3 issues

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 13:16:17 UTC 2005

Sergey wrote:
> I googled for a while to get advantages of using ext2/3 and reiserfs, and
> found amazing stuff. Reiser appears to be much better in performance and
> trouble-shooting, including so called 'pilot error' too.

You have to be a little careful comparing ext2/3 and reiserfs3. Ext2/3
hasn't stood still, and has optional features such as dir_index which
uses hashed b-trees to speed some things up.

See man tune2fs or man mk2efs for details.

But in general, if your Google results don't mention these features, and
aren't on a recent 2.6 kernel, treat them as purely of historical
interest.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,