FC4 up2date fatal RPM install error

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 19:02:16 UTC 2005

I just tried to run up2date on my FC4 system and got an error during
installation:

There was a fatal RPM install error.  The message was:
There was a rpm unpack error installing the package:
kde-i18n-Polish-3.5.0-0.1.fc4

I selected the only available option - "OK" and it exited up2date (it didn't
just abort installing that one package).  So I tried to run up2date again
and it found one new package to download (presumably one that was changed
during the 2 hours I had been running the previous up2date).  It installed
that new package, but didn't continue installing other downloaded packages
where it left off.  Now I suspect I have a half updated system.  Some of the
packages that were updated no longer work... for example thunderbird no
longer works.  How do I recover from this?

Thanks...

                          David

PS - It seems like I get errors every few times I run up2date... every 6
months or so they're bad enough that my install is no longer useful.
Fortunately that's about how often new releases come out, so I usually just
install the new release.  But I think it's about time I learn whatever magic
is required to overcome up2date problems.  Do I just have bad up2date karma
or is it as fragile as it seems to me?  My computer at work and my computer
at home are both currently broken wrt up2date.  :(