Install java with yum

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Wed Dec 28 01:49:41 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I have my FC4 system cleaned up. I have removed all of the "java"
group that is installed with anaconda because it was just too confusing
figuring out all the inter-connectedness [? a real word] of the parts of
java, jakarta, for this newbie.

   I would like to install the sun version of java-1.5.0 with yum and
have downloaded the jpackage.repo package (from jpackage.org), commented
out all the sections except the last ' [jpackage-generic-non-free], and
tried to do the following:
   yum --enablerepos=jpackage* install java-1.5.0

   It returns with nothing to install.  There is no java installed at
present except for
    gcc-java-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0....
    java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0....
which as i understand it are compatibility files(?) for 1.4.2.

My goal is to install a minimal java SDK to:
   1.  run with tomcat4
   2.  experiment and learn a little about java in general.

Can I attain this goal with yum.  I have read the Fedora info on
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/index.html.  Or should I just grab the
tar.gz file and put it in /usr/local/java?

Also, there seems to be a dearth of information on the yum
installer-updater.  The HOW-TO was written 2-3 years ago and I am having
a tough time figuring out how the .repo files are parsed or if
--enablerepos=xxx allows only the xxx.repo file to be read.

A nudge in the right direction appreciated.

TIA

Bob