Yum in cron confusion?

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Thu Feb 3 05:24:25 UTC 2005

William John Murray wrote:

>Thanks for the ideas:
>
>*) cron is installed and running fine; other jobs work OK
>
>*) /var/log/yum.log is there, but does not have this update. But since
>  nothing was changed, maybe this is correct
>
>*) However, 'yum  update' is not working owing to a broken repo,
>   so I THINK that maybe all the problem. If this is correct
>then it is a shame there is NO LOG ANYYWHERE.
>
>   Bill

Hi Bill,

After checking the '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron', I noticed this:
------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
        /usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
        /usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update
fi
the '-e 0' option turns off most error reporting, while the '-d 0' turns
off debugging messages. The values of those two vary from 0--10. By
playing with them you can probably get about any level of reporting you
want.

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student