Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 12:43:37 UTC 2005

Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>>What I'm planing to do is to resinstall the
>>smallest version of SuSE Linux that I can, in dual-boot mode (I hope
>>that won't clobber anything in the Fedora install, aside from borrowing
>>some disk space), and then to see what its xorg.conf looks like.  X had
>>run fine under SuSE, I just got rid of it because it was only the Server
>>edition (from my workplace) and had no application software.
>>
>>I'll post anything useful that I learn.
>>
>>thanks for the help,
>>Bruce
>

> Bruce:
> Rather than going through all of the hassle of installing and then
> uninstalling SuSE, it would be a lot less work if you used a live-CD distro;
> Knoppix is especially good at identifying and configuring hardware.
> -- cmg

Also, the xorg.conf file is not the exact problem causing the error. The
problem is with the xorg-x11 driver for the i810 video cards.

The only thing that I see is to add the
Option "NoAccel"
To the xorg.conf file, then get the xorg-x11 where the breakage was
resolved/reduced for the 810 and 815 video chipset class.

Going through installing SUSE also to check the config file seems to be
a lot of work, but I have resorted to some very out of the ordinary
workarounds or detective methods also.

Jim

--
You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.