Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Bruce Elliott belliott4488 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 13:36:26 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 08:50 pm, Bruce Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> What I'm planing to do is to resinstall the
>>> smallest version of SuSE Linux that I can, ... <snip>  X had
>>> run fine under SuSE, ... <snip>
>>
>> Bruce:
>> Rather than going through all of the hassle of installing and then
>> uninstalling SuSE, it would be a lot less work if you used a live-CD
>> distro; Knoppix is especially good at identifying and configuring
>> hardware.
>> -- cmg
>
> Also, the xorg.conf file is not the exact problem causing the error.
> The problem is with the xorg-x11 driver for the i810 video cards.
>
> The only thing that I see is to add the
> Option "NoAccel"
> To the xorg.conf file, then get the xorg-x11 where the breakage was
> resolved/reduced for the 810 and 815 video chipset class.
>
> Going through installing SUSE also to check the config file seems to
> be a lot of work, but I have resorted to some very out of the ordinary
> workarounds or detective methods also.
>
> Jim

I'll try to track down the latest X11 and verify that it has the
necessary fix.  But, regarding SuSE - installing would be a pain,
especially if it required clobbering and then reinstalling Fedora, but
doesn't the fact that my SuSE installation had worked correctly on this
machine indicate that it included the required version of X11?  Is there
any way I might be able to get just that from the SuSE CDs?  Maybe it's
more trouble than it's worth ...

- Bruce