Grub install broken after kernel update

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Feb 14 21:39:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:00, Guy Fraser wrote:

> All I did was add a drive, and grub would not work any more.
> Saying grub has nothing to do with it is complete BULL SHIT.

Grub has to use bios for the first stage of the boot.  If adding
a drive changed your bios' concept of which was your 1st and 2nd
(bootable) drives, then grub really doesn't have anything to do
with it.  You need to install a boot loader on the drive that
bios will boot.

If bios is still booting the initial grub loader, then it is
a grub issue, but just involves setting the configuration to
find where your /boot partition now using grub's non-Linux
oriented device names.

> I ended up having to re-install on a PATA drive to get
> FC3 working again.

That should only be necessary if your bios won't boot the
SATA.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com