Grub install broken after kernel update

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Feb 15 00:04:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 14:56 -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-15-02 at 00:31 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > > All I did was add a drive, and grub would not work any more.
> > > Saying grub has nothing to do with it is complete BULL SHIT.
> >
> > i said it might not be related.
> >

> Actually you said :
> <QUOTE>
> >
> > grub has no reliability concerns really. your problem may not been
> > even related to it. if you think its a grub bug then file a bug
> > report.
> </QUOTE>
>
> Since it is difficult to figure out exactly what you were trying
> to say, I could only guess that the message appeared to say grub is
> not the problem.
>

> > > The sheer volume of people that are having problems with
> > > grub, should be an indicator that it is not making life
> > > easier for the Fedora community.
> >
> > i dont agree with this
> >

> Whether you agree or not, many people are having trouble with
> the way grub handles drive assignments, and is one of the
> main reasons for attrition from FC.

Please provide facts/numbers/statistics before you make such a blanket
statement.  Many people are having trouble, they do not understand
labels-vs-device names but they are hardly the majority of users and I
would wager a very small minority.  To say it is one of the main reasons
for attrition from FC does require a few facts in support.

> > > Rahul : If you don't have something that can help me, then
> > > do not respond. I have probably been using Linux longer than
> > > you, until grub and SATA drives came out I never had problems
> > > I could not fix. If you are a Red Hat developer then, I
> > > certainly hope the other developers are reading your idiotic
> > > remarks and have you removed.
> >
> > name calling wont help you. if I get removed for suggesting you file
> > bug reports against grub instead of ranting here then that would be
> > very ironic
> >

> Did I hurt your feelings?
> I'm so sorry.

Guy,

That is hardly the way to provide good will or encourage people in the
community to _want_ to provide aid.  Have you not heard the phrase "You
catch more files with sugar than with vinegar??