Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 21:39:25 UTC 2005

Fritz Whittington said:
> On or about 2005-02-07 14:00, William Hooper whipped out a trusty #2
> pencil and scribbled:
>
>> Fritz Whittington said:
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Agreed.  The only problem with the gmane.org news is that it doesn't
>>> seem to propagate postings to it backwards to the list, only from the
>>> list to the newsgroup.
>>>

>> Oh?
>>

>> http://gmane.org/post.php
>>

> Posted to it twice this last week.  Never got any email from them.  (And
> of course, they never showed up on the list.)  Perhaps att.net has them
> blacklisted.

That would be a issue to explore.  As Robert demonstrated earlier, it works.

>> Gmane doesn't have a seperate "newsgroup", it just mirrors list
>> traffic.
>>
> Looks like a duck, walks like a duck....

But it does neither.

> If everyone here posted to/read
> from the "newsgroup", then it wouldn't matter if anyone actually read the
> list.  As far as I can tell, you don't have to be subscribed to the list
> to post there.

You must be subscribed to the list for your post to go to the list (and
then show up on gmane).

> Perhaps my real point is:  mailing lists are fine for a relatively small
> number of people with reasonably low volume.

I guess someone forgot to tell the linux-kernel ml, too.

> I think the number/volume we
> have here is more than enough to justify a newsgroup.

With a good mailer (threading, filtering), there isn't much difference,
other than what protocol you use to receive the messages.  And with gmane,
you have the choice of using NNTP already.

--
William Hooper