Problem with smb shares.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Feb 8 21:54:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:08:07PM +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:13, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> >I know someone is going to tell me that google will give me the answer
> >but I am burdened with too much information already so I will ask this
> >anyway.
> >
> >Since W2k shares can have more than two levels but evidently not in
> >the smbmount that I am using so I can say:
> >smbmount //trinity-tiger/users .....
> >but not:
> >smbmount //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 ...
>
> What's the problem with the first command? Why do you want to mount a
> subdirectory of a share instead of mounting the share directly?
Well here is the deal. The managers of the system put users, faculty,
etc. in different subdirectories. When I use the first smbmount I
mount not the directory of csldap1 but the directory of all the
home directories of users of the system. I might be able to live with
that but it is annoying. Not to make a value judgement but MAC OS X
allows you to mount  using the share: //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1
to mount only the home directory of csldap1.

The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University