Grub install broken after kernel update

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Feb 17 18:11:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-15-02 at 23:42 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
> > I agree, but I read all the grub {grub legacy} documentation
> > and tried many things. The documentation does not have a lot
> > of troubleshooting information, and grub has very poor error
> > reporting. I would be more helpful if it mentioned which file
> > or partition could not be found rather than just; Error 15 or
> > Error 22.
>
> Try info grub (or you might find pinfo grub easier. Or try one of the
> graphical interfaces) and follow Troubleshooting.
>
> # 15 : File not found
> #      This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found,
> #      but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
> (OK: it could say *which* file wasn't found...)
> # 22 : No such partition
> #      This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device
> #      part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected
> #      disk.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
Thank you, but I already got that information from the HTML manual.

Since it doesn't say what file or partition can't be found, there is
no way of fixing the problem.

I started with the rescue CD and entered the grub console, then
proceeded to check the devices and partitions. After I was verifying
that I had setup the correct devices, I entered the "root" command
and used the "find" command to verify that I could find "stage1"
"menu.lst" and a kernel. I did not get any errors.

After about 16 hours of researching all the related issues and
trying every solution I could find, I gave up.