Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 22 03:54:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 21:31 -0500, Matt Considine wrote:
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:24 -0700
> > From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> > Subject: Re: Difficulty getting a large disk mounted.
> > To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> >
> > On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 18:22 -0500, Matt Considine wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I've checked the archives and cannot find commentary on this.  Hoping I
> >>didn't overlook something, here goes ...
> >>
> >>Running FC3 and Gnome, I am trying to get a third harddisk recognized.
> >>This one had a partition (11G) for the Win99 OS and the remaining
> >>partition was divided up into virtual drives.  Total size is 60G if I
> >>recall.
> >>
> >>The hardware brower recognizes this as
> >>
> >>     Device Start End   Size(MB)  Type
> >>/dev/hdd
> >>     /hdd1  1     1460  11453     fat32
> >>            1     1460  11453     Free space
> >>     /hdd2  1461  7296  45779     No filesystem
> >>            7297  7298     10     Free space
> >>
> >>These are associated with subdirectories, respectively,
> >>   /mnt/boot
> >>   /mnt/root
> >>
> >>I can see the files on "boot" without a problem.  But I cannot
> >>see the files on "root".
> >>
> >>Can someone either tell me how or point me to the instructions to get
> >>these files recognized?  When I type (as root)
> >>
> >>   mount -t vfat /dev/hdd2 /mnt/root
> >>
> >>I get the following message :
> >>   mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd2,
> >>          or too many mounted file systems
> >>
> >>Any help would be appreciated, as well as everyone's patience if I
> >>missed something simple.
> >
> > -----
> > I guess I don't understand exactly what you are saying.
> >
> > I can see that there is a partition /dev/hdd2 but I don't understand
> > your comment about the rest of the the partition being divided into
> > virtual drives.
> >
> > Then you say that you called these things /mnt/boot and /mnt/root
> > but /dev/hdd1 is fat32 so that hardly qualifies as a suitable partition
> > for a linux boot and /dev/hdd2 - at least on appearance doesn't have a
> > suitable filesystem at all. The free space leftovers seem to indicate
> > some type of funky partitioning tool was used. I am gathering that if
> > you did try to install a filesystem (sometimes called 'formatting' or
> > 'initializing') that it didn't succeed.
> >
> > If there is no valuable data on the /dev/hdd2, you could probably just
> > from command line...
> >
> > mkfs -t [ext3|ext2|vfat] /dev/hdd2
> >
> > I always had problems creating vfat partitions larger than 32mb. Perhaps
> > that is just me.
> >
> > if you feel that you had indeed created a filesystem on /dev/hdd2 like
> > in Windows or something else and indeed have valuable data on that
> > drive, then re-examine by booting Windows or the tool you used to create
> > it and see if it's still there.
> >
> > Craig
>
> (apologies for the format of the prior response...)

> [...]
----
I guess I don't understand how you can keep asking for help when you
don't reveal the details of the problem. I will ask in another way?

What is supposed to be on this /dev/hdd2 ?

Is it formatted for vfat (fat32) filesystem?

If not formatted for vfat (fat32) - what format did you choose when you
created it?  EZ Drive might simply create the partition and not format
it for any particular purpose.

Are there any files on this partition?  Do you expect to find them?

Craig