Password

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 02:30:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 05:13:49PM +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> >>For a young child this may be the wrong choice entirely.  I would
> >>consider setting the machine to auto-logon,
> Create the user then reset the password as root.  root is allowed to set
> stupid passwords.
> Then assuming you're only exposing something like ssh, why not just restrict
> which users can login through it:

You can manage  the ssh exposure by sshd configuration!
See the man page for sshd_config and look for:
    PermitRootLogin no
    AllowGroups smallgroup
    AllowUsers  you at localhost

For the truely paranoid, If you open up ssh limit the accounts to non
obvious user names....  you could even go so far as using 'mkpasswd'
to generate the user account NAME that has permission to log in ;-)

    # mkpasswd
    m4>MjwAu8

then hand edit to something like  m4mjwau8.  Match that
to a difficult/strong  passwd and you are in good shape.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)