PAM with Credit Cards

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Feb 28 22:52:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 07:37 -0600, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     I'm looking into something...maybe some long-term plans. Let's say I
> handed out a bunch of magnetic cards for students to use, each with a
> name on it an/or PIN, and wanted them to walk up to a PC with a reader
> and use that card (probably authorized by LDAP somehow) to 'be' their
> login/password.
>
>     How tough would it be to write that kinda PAM module?  Has anyone
> here done it?

    Let's put a little spin on the ball.

    Let's say I want to put a credit card reader onto my Linux box.  To
login, I want to validate the card through a provider, and when I log
off, I want to charge for the time I spent online.

    I'd like to put up a screen saver instead of the usual GDM box (or
at least put it up only when validating) and remove the keyboard from a
login consideration.

    It can be just a PAM module that connects to some remote processor;
I don't think it'll be very tough.  And, at some point the person
writing it would be paid...you know, like real money?

    Does _that_ get anyone's juices flowing?
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller