upgrading mysql (and others) using yum or apt-get?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jan 5 02:15:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 20:35 -0500, Jim wrote:
> I have an fc3 machine that im trying to upgrade mysql (and other
> packages too, but i'll start with just mysql).  I guess fc3 comes with
> mysql 3.23 but i want to install the newest available (4.1).  When
> trying to run yum to update this, it tells me the newest version (3.23)
> is already installed.  apt-get tells me the same thing so i assume that
> 3.23 is the newest version in whatever repo im using.  Is there a way i
> can force is to get a later version?  do i have to add another repo to
> yum.conf?  Im new to this whole yum thing so any hints here would be
> appreciated.  I could always go grab the rpms manually and install them
> but im worried about dependency issues and the mixing of auto/manual
> updating.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jim

AFAIK Fedora does not use any newer version in their RPMs.
You can remove the fedora rpm and install the later version from
mysql.com, (or just install the rpm as an update) but as yet it seems
that Fedora does not distribute the later versions due to the licensing
issues that came up about a year ago.

Check the archives for details.