yum made selinux break dhcpd and named

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jan 21 15:02:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 12:44 +0000, William John Murray wrote:
> I set up a firewall/router/dhcpd/dns server at home; it was very
> easy, thanks to all for making it so.
>
> [...]
>
> But I forced through other updates by
> doing things like "yum update 'a*'"

While I cannot suggest how to get out of your current problem, do allow
me to make an important suggestion:

For a production box, one where reliability and security are important,
never force anything. In your case yum was *not* broken, but rather
reporting a very real problem and refusing to take action. Forcing
things leads to actions that cannot easily be undone and may wreak
bloody havoc on your system... never a good idea. If it cannot be done
without force, investigate *why* that is, and usually there will be a
good reason for that.

At this point, assuming you took notes of your procedure, one possible
solution is to back up your configuration files, create a kickstart file
that will install the exact same system, and then just reinstall the
box. If you're quick, the process could take less than an hour. But that
assumes you have those backups (or are willing to make them), and that
you know what you did to set up your firewall so that you're not left in
the dark and with a broken box.

There are other ways, surely... but if you cannot find them or cannot
take the time to find them, this is a "brute-force" approach that may
get you out of the woods you got into when you forced the updates.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>