Apple Cinema Display 23" and no image

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 20 00:18:02 UTC 2005

>> Hello
>> I got an Apple Cinema Display and when I hooked it up to the computer
>> running Fedora Cora 4 it's only black. When I restart nothing
>> happens, it looks as if the display goes into sleep mode right after
>> boot up.
>> I've tried reconfiguring xfree86 remotely via ssh and still nothing
>> shows on the screen, just black.
>> Anyone knows a solution to this problem?
>>

> Did you do this on x86 or PPC ?
>
> Apple displays tend to be widescreen, and you may have to generate
> modelines
> --
> Colin Charles, http://www.bytebot.net/

I did this on x86. My corrent linux machine is a pentium 4 with on
board ATI graphics. I had this same problem when I used to run
YellowDog Linux 4 (which is based on Fedora) on a PPC. Same issue
with two different platforms and two different distros.
Yes, Apple Cinema Displays are widescreen.
Is there a way to get FC4  to work with that monitor?
Thanks
EJ