Boot from memory-stick?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Jul 25 14:51:27 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-07-25 03:45, Paul Howarth whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> Monkey Pet wrote:
>
>> I am trying to figure out booting from a USB memory stick also.
>> Basically, I have installed linux and don't want to put grub on the
>> MBR since I have a dell laptop and don't want to blow alway the
>> recovery utilities, etc.  I am currently booting into linux using a CD
>> created by the mkbootdisk program.  I want to be able to do the same
>> thing, but put it on the usb memory stick.  What would be idea is just
>> to put grub on the memory stick and be able to point it to the hd to
>> do the actual booting.  I know my bios supports booting off the memory
>> stick.
>

> When you installed Fedora, did you install grub on the boot/root
> partition (rather than the MBR)? If so, you could install grub on any
> other device (memory stcik, floppy etc.) and use an entry like this:
>
> title Fedora Core
>         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>         chainloader +1
>
> (where (hd0,1) is the partition grub is installed on)
>
> to boot Fedora.
>
> Paul.

An even better solution requires no extra floppies, CD's or even a USB
memory stick.  Just install GRUB on the BR of the boot *partition* (not
in the MBR), copy the usual boot loader code from the partition, install
it on the C: drive as a file, and add the option to your C:\boot.ini
file.  Easy instructions are at:
http://board.iexbeta.com/lofiversion/index.php/t47038.html

I use this myself under Windows 2000 to boot Linux, and it works great.

--
Fritz Whittington
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.  I said I didn't know." -- Mark Twain