What is the "official way" to install clamav?The clamav package in extras is rubbish!!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Jul 25 21:56:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:40:00 +0100 (BST), Captain Bubudiu wrote:

> > 1. No. You are supposed to do a few configuration
> > steps.
>
> I would suggest you say what configuration steps are
> involved to get a service that does not exist started.

Why should I? The documentation is inside the package:
/usr/share/doc/clamav-server-0.86.1/README

> > 2. Yes.
> Did you or the maintainer actually see that clamav in
> extras works. And is your response in 3 real?

If you follow the steps and [possibly] understand the design
of the packages, yes, it works.

> > 3. Read the included documentation.
> I would suggest you yourself read the documentation
> and stop making silly responses.

My dear Lieutenant Bubudiu, you should know better that fighting
like this is useless. That time is better spent on figuring out
how to configure the few steps.

> > Also check out fedora-extras-list, where the package
> design has been discussed just recently:
> Nonsense assuming what your response in 2 is.

Nah, it happens from time to time that users run into difficulties with
the design of the packages. That is because the packages are meant to be a
more powerful, more flexible and more extensible Clamav framework than
some other packages you might know. You can read more about it in the
thread on fedora-extras-list and the references to older discussions
or explanations.