Newbie problem - Ethernet card configuration

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 26 03:34:53 UTC 2005

> I believe either i do not have dhcpd or not configured
> properly. Pls help me.
>
> regards
> Manisha

dhcpd is a service which SUPPLIES dhcp services. I don't think you want
this, you want to RECEIVE a dhcp address?

If you do wish to set up dhcpd to supply addresses to your network, then
please read the documentation. It is very simple. I say this because
even I managed to read and set it up in 5 minutes, and I'm no guru.

If you simply wish to receive an address - what is the problem? Your
network card seems to be sending the request, but getting no reply. It
seems your cable modem is not a DHCP server.

I think you have to understand a vital thing here. Just because your
cable modem receives a dynamic address from the ISP, it does not
necessarily mean it acts as a dhcp server to serve an address to your
network card.

Most cable modems here in Australia have very special Windows software
to activate them properly. What make/model is it?

Regards,
Ed.