"Updating" i386 to x86_64

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Jun 29 06:52:32 UTC 2005

--On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:06 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> Now I have to look up how to resize the partition. I probably can't do it
> on the root partition so I may have to grab a "live CD" and do it with
> that. System currently has 3 primaries, WinXP64, FC4, and swap. (For some
> reason the FC4 installer didn't give me the option to put it an extended
> partition.)

parted in rescue mode refused to touch the partition, something about an
unimplemented feature. So I just deleted sda2 from XP and created 3 new
logical partitions of 16 GB each (sda5-sda7), one each for i386 and x86_64,
and one common partition to share between them. Plus a 2 GB swap in sda8.

I then couldn't find any software to burn the DVD on my NEC burner. I tried
xcdroast with cdrecord-ProDVD but it didn't like the drive. So I ended up
burning the DVD-R using Nero on my other system running Win2k. It was
bootable but corrupt, so I ended up copying the image from my server to the
common partition using rescue mode and scp, and doing a hard disk ISO
install. Then I had to reinstall the i386 version. So now I have XP64, FC4
i386, and FC4 x86_64 in a triple-boot configuration.