command to set ntp server

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jun 30 03:48:34 UTC 2005

--On Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:39 AM +0800 Sebastian Ho <kokwah at ncs.com.sg>
wrote:

> I am looking for the command to set the NTP server that is found in
> system-config-date UI.
>
> I am able to change the NTP by editing /etc/ntp.conf but was hoping for
> a command to do it for me.

I'd grab the source RPM for system-config-date and "prep" it so that I
could look through the source. First find which RPM is involved:

rpm -qif `which system-config-date`

Then download the source RPM named in the information header just dumped.
Install the source RPM:

rpm -i some-package-name.src.rpm

This puts the source tarball, patches and spec file (a kind of Makefile) in
/usr/src/redhat. Now "prep" the source, which unpacks the tarball and
applies any patches:

rpmbuild -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/some-package-name.spec

You should now have the source ready to inspect and build in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD.